known as The Harvard University Choir existed informally until it was
officially ratified by a constitution in 1834. At the time, even this
“official” group conducted themselves pretty informally,
reading or sleeping during the Morning Prayers service until it was their
turn to do something. That all
changed in 1862 when John Knowles Paine became the first choirmaster and
organist and whipped them into shape.
The choir is
famed for its perennial Christmas concerts, which started in 1910 under the
direction of Archibald T. Davison, who asked the women’s choir at
Radcliffe to participate in the event, an invitation extended by Professor G.
Wallace Woodworth, who succeeded him.
In 1958, John R. Ferris integrated female choristers into the mix on
a permanent basis, and his tenure lasted thirty-two years.
Forbes Somerville took over in 1990, and he exposed the HUC to an
international audience by adding recording and touring to their
agenda. In 2003, Edward Elwyn Jones became the seventh university choirmaster
The HUC is a
professional choir, and its members are paid a stipend and have lent their
voices to a variety of recordings, including Alleluia, Carmina Burana, Carols
from the Yard, Christmas in the
Busch, Lo, There is Light!, Rorem: Works for Choir and Organ, and Sing the Glory!. Some of their annual Christmas
concerts have been captured on CD, as well. The 100th Carols Service
took place in the fall of 2009.
It is the oldest such service in the United States.
In the spring
of 2010, the Harvard University Choir regaled audiences with one of the
grandest of liturgical masterpieces, Johann Sebastian Bach’s
“St. John’s Passion”.
The Harvard University Choir recordings
Fidelis (Frederick Oakeley/John Francis Wade)
Pro Organo CD 7134 (Christmas
in the Busch)
Baroque Chamber Orchestra
Director – Robert Mealy
Soprano – Awet Andemicael
Bass – Mark Risinger
Conductor – Murray Forbes Somerville
Organists – Erica Johnson and Edward Jones