Tony Burrows.

Chat about your favourite and least favourite Composers and Artists in here.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Site Contributors

PapaMouse

Tony Burrows.

Post by PapaMouse »

I thought I remembered "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)" being covered by someone else after it was a hit for Edison Lighthouse. But when I looked up the song online, I discovered that it was recorded by a bunch of studio musicians, with the lead vocals done by Tony Burrows. That name sounded familiar to me, so I looked him up. I recognized it because I have a compilation CD that includes "Beach Baby" by a group called First Class. But it's a new(er) recording, credited to "Tony Burrows of First Class". Mr Burrows also sang the lead on White Plains' "My Baby Loves Lovin' ", The Brotherhood of Man's "United We Stand", and The Pipkins' "Gimme Dat Ding".

In February 1970, he became the first (and still the only) person to appear on BBC Television's Top of the Pops fronting three different acts in one show: Edison Lighthouse (who were number one that week), White Plains, and The Pipkins.

Before becoming a session singer, he was in a band called The Ivy League, who later became The Flower Pot Men. The Flower Pot Men also included Jon Lord and Nick Simper, who went on to be founding members of Deep Purple.
Lord, you have filled my cup so full,
How can I fear tomorrow?