Mozart and his life...

Chat about your favourite and least favourite Composers and Artists in here.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Site Contributors

jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Mozart and his life...

Post by jodlyn »

Mozart is such an interesting composer in my opinion. I didn't realise he had died at the age of only 35 when looking at the many works he had done. What a young age to pass away! I wonder if he knew exactly how much interest and joy his works would give to people later on in the future.

I can't wait to see some of the composers listed also, Fee. No pressure though! :D
fiona
Feenotes Owner

I think you mean....

Post by fiona »

.....the classical composers as I have already listed many composers of other things.

Mozart did die very young but left over 700 works for us. He was an interesting character, believe me, and quite a moody kind of critter from what I can make out.

I have over 20 pages of Mozart to sort out so please bear with me a little bit.

I hope you find some of these other guys interesting that I've done, as although they may not all have been heard of before, I think you might find out that you know their songs and never linked the two.
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Re: I think you mean....

Post by jodlyn »

fiona wrote:.....the classical composers as I have already listed many composers of other things.

Mozart did die very young but left over 700 works for us. He was an interesting character, believe me, and quite a moody kind of critter from what I can make out.

I have over 20 pages of Mozart to sort out so please bear with me a little bit.

I hope you find some of these other guys interesting that I've done, as although they may not all have been heard of before, I think you might find out that you know their songs and never linked the two.
I've already read just about everything you've posted, and as you know from our last talk, I've been very surprised by the little known tidbits. Since you've been talking about this for so long, I find myself looking for the interesting things about many of the songs I hear. It's been surprising to see how many people have redone songs or how even television commercials have used them. I wonder just how much royalties these songs have generated over the years. Whew!
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way!
fiona
Feenotes Owner

You know what?

Post by fiona »

The bit that breaks my heart a lot of the time is that the people who were the real composers weren't always credited or had to share them. It was a fact that many producers/owners etc had their names added to the credits so that they could collect royalties on the record.

Often management and others take royalties, leaving next to nothing for the real people that composed it. Other times it was the only way of paying the people who worked on it.

The Wabash Cannonball had A.P. Carter written on it, so I had to name him as a credited composer, but he no more wrote it than I flew to the moon last week! He was told to add his name to the credit on the 45 by his producer and that way he would receive royalties. That's how it works and personally I think it's terrible. :x

Tom Evans and Pete Ham saw almost none of their royalties for "Without You" which is known throughout the world and yet most people thought Harry Nilsson wrote it. If you read their bios then you'll have seen how it affected them in the end. :(
I'm not going to let my history pull me down and hold me back, you see.
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

It's a shame how credit isn't given many times...

Post by jodlyn »

I guess because if you're long gone from this world, how can you object to not being given credit? It's a shame, but it seems normal to have that happen. I can't wait for your composers to start appearing, but you take care of that cold before you start the massive composer listing.
fiona
Feenotes Owner

As I said before...

Post by fiona »

.....the classical composers are a mammoth task but I have them all here and am just trying to get them into some semblance of order and thought about starting to add them in the next day or so. They won't all be BIG names as I must have a least a couple of thousand of them, but they are all worthy of an entry.

The thing is I have already added loads of composers and even though they're not what are maybe thought of in that way, they are composers that will be going down in musical history just like the others as they have created pieces of music that we appreciate and have entertained the masses for years. I look at it that today's Paul McCartney, Sting or Eric Clapton are just as important as Beethoven or Bach or Mozart were from their respective centuries onwards.

Also the thing that fascinates me is the crossover from the classical to the "modern" music. Clause Ogerman, who I added yesterday, is a classical composer in his own right with things like ballets to his credit, but I have added him as an artist as he is the conductor on one of Ed Ames' singles.

Many of the singles that have yet to be added get their influence from a classical piece, but then I guess that's what they call musical evolution.
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

It really is amazing....

Post by jodlyn »

I didn't realise how Mozart was used in jazz and bluegrass until recently. It seems Mr. Mozart can be found everywhere. I wonder if like Leonardo da Vinci and his amazing drawings about future engineering, science and anatomy uses, Mozart had visions of future uses for his music. I can just see the master rocking out to a futuristic vision of heavy metal. :)
fiona
Feenotes Owner

He's always lurking

Post by fiona »

..but then it wouldn't be the first time I heard Beethoven rearing his head in some of the songs we hear. These classical composers seem to be sampled as much as anyone sometimes I think. :lol:
Johnny_Guitar

I hate to nitpick, but...

Post by Johnny_Guitar »

I prefer the term Art Music when referring to 'Classical' Music in general, as the Classic Period was just one period among several. And while I love Classical Music, I think I actually prefer the Baroque period. Give me J.S. Bach, Antonio Vivaldi, Domenico Scarlatti et al. Then again, it's hard to beat Mozart. Sure wish I could afford this:

http://www.amazon.com/Wolfgang-Amadeus- ... F8&s=music

Hmm, Fee, me thinks you need to have your computer guy work on wrapping the text around. :shock:
fiona
Feenotes Owner

Nitpick you may...

Post by fiona »

...as you're allowed. I was using the generic term and so you can slap my wrists.

I adore the Baroque period and Vivaldi is my favourite composer, but I must admit I am a real sucker for the Romantic composers like Debussy. Does that make it better? :)

I like Mozart but he can get a little too samey sometimes, but then how original can you be if you compose over 700 pieces in less than 40 years?

I'll tell Thomas about the wrapround thing. :)
dmsesquire
Feenotes Contributor

As Johnny Guitar said, the "Classical" period...

Post by dmsesquire »

...actually comprised only about thirty years. Like Fee, I am more a fan of Baroque and Romantic music. The genius of Beethoven is that he almost single-handedly ushered out the Classical era and ushered in the Romantic era. The genius of Mozart was that he was so intelligent musically he could toss off a divertimento over lunch.
Five out of four people have trouble with fractions.
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Re: As Johnny Guitar said, the "Classical" period.

Post by jodlyn »

dmsesquire wrote:...actually comprised only about thirty years. Like Fee, I am more a fan of Baroque and Romantic music. The genius of Beethoven is that he almost single-handedly ushered out the Classical era and ushered in the Romantic era. The genius of Mozart was that he was so intelligent musically he could toss off a divertimento over lunch.
What is also amazing is that they were so different yet so alike in musical talent. While many of their works are not similar, there is a similar vein running through each section of music they composed. It is almost as if they were connected in a paranormal sort of way. Whatever it was, their music is certainly emotional, moving and beautiful.
fiona
Feenotes Owner

You know

Post by fiona »

Since I've been listening to Doug on his show and helping out with birthdays and things I realised how much some of these other composers missed out. Often they are described as being pupils or co-students of Bach or Mozart or some other acclaimed composer, but one thing they didn't all have in their favour was the money they needed to go to other parts of Europe to perform. In those days international and even national acclaim was a very important thing and if these guys didn't have the funding then they were kind of left unnoticed.
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Re: You know

Post by jodlyn »

In those days international and even national acclaim was a very important thing and if these guys didn't have the funding then they were kind of left unnoticed.
Similar to the great painters! Without a patron, many of the great works went unnoticed. It still is a wonder to me though if these classical composers even had a smidegeon of a clue of how popular their works would be. I wonder if they had a glimpse into the future at one time or another.
fiona
Feenotes Owner

Well I'm thinking..

Post by fiona »

It still is a wonder to me though if these classical composers even had a smidegeon of a clue of how popular their works would be. I wonder if they had a glimpse into the future at one time or another.
All of these composers relied on being published and were often promoted by another known composer or conductor in the business. I think that the publishers knew what was popular at the time and went with the trends of the day, much like we do with music in the charts now. If they were lucky I'm guessing a performer or conductor would notice one of the published works and that's how it got "air-play". As you say though, often these works went un-noticed until after their deaths, much like Van Gogh in the art world.