Beverly Sills dies of cancer at 78.

Chat about your favourite and least favourite Composers and Artists in here.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Site Contributors

PapaMouse

Beverly Sills dies of cancer at 78.

Post by PapaMouse »

Just last month, it was announced that she had inoperable lung cancer, even though she never smoked. When I read this article, it made me laugh, even as it made me cry. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070703/ap_ ... KeDPHMWM0F

The things you learn about famous people after they're gone: I never knew Ms Sills had done work for the MS Society, nor that her daughter has MS. Her son is autistic; her husband suffered from Alzheimer's. And yet she is best remembered not only for her lovely soprano singing voice, but also for her "bubbly" laugh. As Barbara Walters said of her, "She can go from doing a duet with Placido Domingo to doing a duet with a Muppet."

With the death of the woman who showed the rest of the world that America can produce great opera singers, the world has lost a true artist.
Lord, you have filled my cup so full,
How can I fear tomorrow?
fiona
Feenotes Owner

I hadn't heard about her being ill.

Post by fiona »

It will be a great loss to the world of music worldwide. Thank you sharing that with us PapaMouse.:7207:
I'm not going to let my history pull me down and hold me back, you see.
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Ms. Sills was the one who triggered my love of opera

Post by jodlyn »

My grandmother tried and tried to get me to listen to opera. I loved the classics but just couldn't seem to get into this genre. One day, my grandmother found out Ms. Sills was visiting New Orleans to sing at a concert. She took me, and I was fascinated. I don't think I even breathed during the whole time she sang. It was love at first sight.

A beautiful voice is gone but not forgotten. Luckily, we have her works on albums and cd's. I am going to treasure mine! She will be remembered not only for her gorgeous voice but also because of her charm, graciousness and love of family.

My condolences to her family, friends and so many fans around the world.
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way!