Eric Clapton's Unplugged...

Chat about your favourite and least favourite Composers and Artists in here.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Site Contributors

jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Eric Clapton's Unplugged...

Post by jodlyn »

I was listening to my cd tonight, and I was once again blown away by the talent of this man. He knows blues, but better yet, he can play the blues whether with a full electrified band, or sitting in front of an MTV audience and playing "unplugged!" It just takes a note or two to recognize Layla for what it is, and Before You Accuse Me is an amazing song. Tears in Heaven is also done so sadly and soulfully as a tribute to his young son Conor who died in a tragic accident.

Few musicians can sit down and play an acoustic guitar and still sound as marvelous as Clapton. He really does make the angels weep with his playing.

What's your favorite Clapton song and album?
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way!
fiona
Feenotes Owner

Oooooh Eric!!

Post by fiona »

I like him very much too. :D

I like Bad Love best I think, but there are so many of his that are great.

I have his "Chronicles" album and that is soooooo good. I will say though that I don't care for his acoustic slowed down version of Layla as I am a sucker for the orginal one I can rock too. 8)
I'm not going to let my history pull me down and hold me back, you see.
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

I don't have your cd....

Post by jodlyn »

I have the "Unplugged" and his "Greatest Hits" cd's. So you would recommend buying it?

I like both versions of "Layla!" You're right when you say you can rock to the other version, but I like the acoustic one for when you're sitting there with your eyes closed and you just want to chill out. Both versions are great though.

I also like "You Look Wonderful Tonight!" Can you tell I'm a sucker for love songs?? :P

Good morning...
fiona
Feenotes Owner

Hmmmmm

Post by fiona »

I'm not sure it would be worth buying if you have those other two, as the same songs will be covered just about I would think.
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Re: Hmmmmm

Post by jodlyn »

fiona wrote:I'm not sure it would be worth buying if you have those other two, as the same songs will be covered just about I would think.
Hmmm I think you're right. I'm really thinking of getting an Mp3 player for myself now. The one I got for Kris for Christmas is so sleek and easy to use, and I'm thinking of getting the same for myself. Then I can listen to Clapton and Sinatra all day long.. :)
fiona
Feenotes Owner

Hmmmm

Post by fiona »

"My Way" followed by "Lay Down Sally" followed by "High Hopes" followed by "Bad Love".....interesting medley! :P
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Re: Hmmmm

Post by jodlyn »

fiona wrote:"My Way" followed by "Lay Down Sally" followed by "High Hopes" followed by "Bad Love".....interesting medley! :P
Hmmmm very interesting medley. I guess now it's time to go put those very songs on...just for listening pleasure mind you! :P
fiona
Feenotes Owner

Good idea.

Post by fiona »

I know you'll be having a good time when I hear "Whoops there goes another rubber tree plant"!! :P
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Oh MY.....

Post by jodlyn »

:oops: 8) :D
PapaMouse

I think the first time I was aware of Clapton as an artist..

Post by PapaMouse »

...was the Derek and the Dominoes Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs album. I've always loved that version of "Layla", so when I heard the Unplugged version, it just blew me away. How could the same song, played by the same artist, sound sooo different? The last time I heard anything that approached that was Simon and Garfunkel's "Wednesday Morning, 3 AM" and "Somewhere They Can't Find Me", which have (essentially) the same lyrics, but different tunes. The 2 versions of "Layla" are the same song, but at different tempi.

I also loved "Tears In Heaven". My daughters were planning to sing that at their Mama's funeral, but decided that they didn't want to risk it. (They weren't sure they could make it all the way through, under those circumstances.) The song can still make me cry.

But I think it's funny that one of the songs on Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs is "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out". This is a love song? :roll: :lol:
Lord, you have filled my cup so full,
How can I fear tomorrow?
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Hi Papa...

Post by jodlyn »

"Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out". This is a love song?
I guess it's a different kind of love song.

It would have been very brave for them to sing "Tears in Heaven" , but as you say, they wouldn't have made it. I too cry when it comes on, so I can't imagine how they could have sung it all the way through.

His work is so good. Everything of his is special, but I really enjoy his unplugged work. It just seems more wistful and closer to what he really does best.

It's good to see you. :1026: :wave: