This evening, I had a singularly enjoyable treat.

Chat about your favourite and least favourite Composers and Artists in here.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Site Contributors

PapaMouse

This evening, I had a singularly enjoyable treat.

Post by PapaMouse »

I took part in a very small way in a concert given at my church, featuring a German coloratura soprano, named Gesa Jörg. She just happens to be a friend of the organist/choir director at my church, and when they were talking about the fact that Ms Jörg was going to be in this part of the world, they said "We should perform together." So they did.

There was one song (Mozart's "Laudate Dominum") which has a section with a choir. So Karen (our choir director) had our choir sing that part. It was wonderful! (One of our altos said "We could have sat back here playing kazoos, and Gesa would make us sound good.") The concert also included Handel's "Let the Bright Seraphim", from Samson, with a local man playing a piccolo trumpet. And Schubert's "Shepherd's Song" with a local woman on the clarinet.

I only hope they recorded the concert. If they did, I plan on getting a copy of it!
Lord, you have filled my cup so full,
How can I fear tomorrow?
fiona
Feenotes Owner

That sounds absolutely wonderful PapaMouse

Post by fiona »

There is nothing so beautiful as a choir singing in a church and with a colouratura soprano as well as a piccolo trumpet and clarinet it must have sounded very special indeed.

The pieces that were sung are all beautiful too and you must have been very proud to have been involved in such an event.

If they recorded the event I would like to see it too. :D

Thanks for sharing this lovely event with us.:7207:
I'm not going to let my history pull me down and hold me back, you see.
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Re: Ohhh..how wonderful!

Post by jodlyn »

I only hope they recorded the concert. If they did, I plan on getting a copy of it![/quote]

They are beautiful works especially "Let the Bright Seraphim". There nothing that gives a person more shivers than a church choir singing these works of art. I wish I could have been there to listen. As Fee said, thank you for sharing it with us and Hiya Papa! :1013: :wave:
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way!
PapaMouse

Besides being a gifted soprano,...

Post by PapaMouse »

...she's very easy to look at:

I just wish I had been in a position to take pictures during the concert (which wasn't allowed anyway) so I could have gotten a few shots of her while she was singing, and of the trumpet player and the clarinet player.

Ms Jörg and Karen had planned an encore, just in case the audience wanted more. (Like there was any doubt! :roll: ) And she sang Puccini's "O mio babbino caro", from Gianni Schicchi. It amazes me that such a gorgeous, almost heartbreaking song could come from an hilarious comic opera.
Lord, you have filled my cup so full,
How can I fear tomorrow?
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Re: Wow..she's pretty!

Post by jodlyn »

I love her hair. She sounds like her voice was as pretty as she is. Hmmm..I wonder if she's on Youtube, Pat. I'll have to go look.

Thanks for sharing her with us!
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way!
tmac396

She IS pretty...

Post by tmac396 »

...and what a great opportunity that was for you. I would love to have the chance to sing with someone like that, but I don't think anyone in our choir knows anyone famous. Congratulations, Papa...it sounds as if it was a wonderful concert and it must have made you very proud to have been a part of it.
Toolin' down the highway doing 79,
I'm a twin-pipe papa and I'm feeling fine...