It's really interesting how and where songs are written...

Chat about your favourite and least favourite Groups and Bands in here.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Site Contributors

jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

It's really interesting how and where songs are written...

Post by jodlyn »

I've found out two of my favorite songs were written while people were drunk or in a bedroom. You have to wonder if those songs would have been written if circumstances were different.

I like the list. I just can't wait until you get the classical composers going and of course the Eagles. Although as we've talked about, that's going to be a monumental thing to do. :)
Thomas
Feenotes Technical

Post by Thomas »

You know I think I replied to this in a way to Jody in a post on the other board,

I'm going to find out about this London group as I'm dure they are the ones that my friend down there mentioned to me over Christmas.

I did admit I'm not a great fan of Oasis either. I do have Wonderwall though so give me time and I'll see what I can do with it. :D
Thomas
Feenotes Website Development & Hosting
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Post by jodlyn »

Thomas wrote:I was talking to Fiona earlier about a group from near London who made it big in the last year or so. Their initial album was recorded in a disused mini-cab office! When they were approached by a record label, they chose to re-record the album in the same mini-cab office to "maintain their unique sound".

One of my favourite songs has got quite a lot of rumors surrounding it as to where it came from or where the ideas for it came from. I guess someone somewhere knows. I'm referring to a heavily covered song that many people have had a go at including Paul Anka and Cat Power. I even have a version that is mixed with a Green Day song. It's Wonderwall by Oasis.
It's stories like this which make it so interesting. I really think many listeners just don't realise how songs are made or what influences them.

I've heard the song by Oasis. I love the lyrics.

Because maybe
You're gonna be the one who saves me ?
And after all
You're my wonderwall

Here's my little story on lyrics. :) My 13 year old Kris loves the Beatle's Sgt. Pepper's Long Hearts Club Band cd. She listens to it almost every day, but she was a bit confused. She couldn't figure out what many of the songs meant especially "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds!" I was telling her about the long held belief that the song was written about a particularly colorful LSD acid trip. It certainly looks that way.

I then told her how John had said he wrote the song after his son brought home a colorful picture from school. It's certainly amazing how these stories get added to as time goes past.
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way!
fiona
Feenotes Owner

I'm glad that

Post by fiona »

you've seen songs you like already as that makes it all worthwhile, :D

The Eagles are on their way Jody, give me a couple of days and they'll be here, although just a couple of their songs for now, with more to come later.

Mozart...................well I've already said. I tell you what. I'll get his bio into something readable and interesting as soon as I can and then just put a couple of his bits in at a time as I must have several hundred of them to list.

You do know that I also need one Mr. Esquire to go and look in liner notes for me so that I give you as much info as possible on every classical piece I deal with? I hope he reads this) :P

I've spoken to Thomas about the group from Staines and these are ones that I would hope to cover one day possibly.

I'm not an Oasis fan I will admit, but I do have a little of their stuff and I think I more tolerate them than anythng else.
Thomas
Feenotes Technical

Post by Thomas »

The lyrics from Wonderwall are just spellbounding and I long for the day I can find someone to apply the lyrics to.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is a fantastic collection of some of the Beatles greatest too in my opinion.

Fiona - At least Liam and Noel are nothing like Pete Doherty, and their music is a heck of a lot better too :wink:
Thomas
Feenotes Website Development & Hosting
fiona
Feenotes Owner

I'm sure...

Post by fiona »

that one day you will fine someone you can apply them to but until them you can talk to me about Sgt. Pepper all day.

You want to wait until Doug gets on here and he will keep you going on that one as he loves talking Beatles lyrics. :D

Maybe because Oasis were openly trying to copy one of my fave bands ever and one of the most played pair of songwriters ever, that I find them a little hard to swallow sometimes.
I'm not going to let my history pull me down and hold me back, you see.
dmsesquire
Feenotes Contributor

Apparently, The Beatles were all juiced up on LSD...

Post by dmsesquire »

...and staying in a yellow house, and it was raining, and Ringo supposedly said: "We all live in a yellow submarine." :shock:
Five out of four people have trouble with fractions.
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Re: Apparently, The Beatles were all juiced up on LSD...

Post by jodlyn »

dmsesquire wrote:...and staying in a yellow house, and it was raining, and Ringo supposedly said: "We all live in a yellow submarine." :shock:
I've always wondered where they got the inspiration for Yellow Submarine. I suppose if they had seen pink elephants, there would have been a song written about those also. :P
fiona
Feenotes Owner

When I was doing some

Post by fiona »

of the operas and ballets and reading up on some of the ones I haven't covered yet, it hit me that it wasn't only The Beatles that were on LSD. :lol:
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

I wonder if a study has ever been done...

Post by jodlyn »

fiona wrote:of the operas and ballets and reading up on some of the ones I haven't covered yet, it hit me that it wasn't only The Beatles that were on LSD. :lol:
When you think about Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, that Doors guy (my brain is mushy this morning) and all the others, you really have to wonder just what they were all taking. :D
fiona
Feenotes Owner

I don't want any of it

Post by fiona »

When you think about Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, that Doors guy (my brain is mushy this morning) and all the others, you really have to wonder just what they were all taking.
It wasn't very good for them as they all keeled over with it. :lol: BTW it was Jim Morrison!!!!!
tmac396

That'll Be the Day...

Post by tmac396 »

Buddy Holly wrote "That'll Be the Day" after watching the then-new John Wayne classic "The Searchers." If you've ever seen it you know that the Duke says this phrase sarcastically throughout the entire movie. After seeing the movie Buddy and his pals walked around saying "That'll be the day" in response to everything and eventually a song (and a star) was born.
Toolin' down the highway doing 79,
I'm a twin-pipe papa and I'm feeling fine...
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Wow..I didn't know that!

Post by jodlyn »

tmac396 wrote:Buddy Holly wrote "That'll Be the Day" after watching the then-new John Wayne classic "The Searchers." If you've ever seen it you know that the Duke says this phrase sarcastically throughout the entire movie. After seeing the movie Buddy and his pals walked around saying "That'll be the day" in response to everything and eventually a song (and a star) was born.
I remember watching "The Searchers" and listening to Wayne say that. How cool the Duke was an inspiration for a song. :)
tmac396

Image of a Girl

Post by tmac396 »

I just posted this as a song stuck in my head and I remembered the story behind it. Marv Rosenberg had just had a fight with his girlfriend and she stormed out of the room. He lay there on the bed listening to the tick-tock of the coo-coo clock on the wall and the song pretty much came to him there. He and the girl never DID get back together, though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqD3uyQr-vc
Toolin' down the highway doing 79,
I'm a twin-pipe papa and I'm feeling fine...
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

We Didn't Start the Fire - Billy Joel

Post by jodlyn »

I'd always liked the fast paced rhythm of the song but didn't realize why Joel wrote it until I read a biography the other day. Billy Joel was talking with someone half his age and the younger man was talking about how the world was messed up. Joel told him that he himself thought the same thing when he was growing up. The younger man replied, "yeah, but you grew up in the fifties and nothing happened in the fifties." Billy Joel retorted: "Wait a minute, didn't you hear of Korea, the Hungarian freedom fighters or the Suez Crisis?"

Joel then wrote the song with those headlines being the basis of the song. The song itself makes a statement about how the older generation is telling the younger generation "we didn't start the fire because it was already burning and will burn!" Every age has it's problems...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g

Here's also a list of everything mentioned in the song:

1940s

Harry Truman is inaugurated as U.S. president after being elected in 1948 to his own term; previously he was sworn in following the death of Franklin D. Roosevelt. He authorized the use of atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in Japan during World War II, on August 6 and August 9, 1945, respectively.
Doris Day enters the public spotlight with the films My Dream Is Yours and It's a Great Feeling as well as popular songs like "It's Magic"; divorces her second husband.
Red China as the Communist Party of China wins the Chinese Civil War, establishing the People's Republic of China.
Johnnie Ray signs his first recording contract with Okeh Records, although he would not become popular for another two years.
South Pacific, the prize-winning musical, opens on Broadway on April 7.
Walter Winchell is an aggressive radio and newspaper journalist credited with inventing the gossip column.
Joe DiMaggio and the New York Yankees go to the World Series five times in the 1940s, winning four of them.

1950s

Joe McCarthy, the US Senator, gains national attention and begins his anti-communist crusade with his Lincoln Day speech.
Richard Nixon is first elected to the United States Senate.
Studebaker, a popular car company, begins its financial downfall.
Television is becoming widespread (in black and white format) and becomes the most popular means of advertising.
North Korea and South Korea declare war after Northern forces stream south on June 25.
Marilyn Monroe soars in popularity with five new movies, including The Asphalt Jungle and All About Eve, and attempts suicide after the death of friend Johnny Hyde who asked to marry her several times, but she refused respectfully. Monroe would later (1954) be married for a brief time to Joe DiMaggio (mentioned in the previous verse).

The Rosenbergs, Ethel and Julius, were convicted on March 29 for espionage.
H-Bomb is in the middle of its development as a nuclear weapon, announced in early 1950 and first tested in late 1952.
Sugar Ray Robinson, a champion welterweight boxer.
Panmunjom, the border village in Korea, is the location of truce talks between the parties of the Korean War.
Marlon Brando is nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor for his role in A Streetcar Named Desire.
The King and I, musical, opens on Broadway on March 29.
The Catcher in the Rye, a controversial novel by J. D. Salinger, is published.

Dwight D. Eisenhower is first elected as U.S. president, winning by a landslide margin of 442 to 89 electoral votes.
The vaccine for polio is privately tested by Jonas Salk.
England's got a new queen: Queen Elizabeth II succeeds to the throne of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth Realms upon the death of her father, George VI, and is crowned the next year.
Rocky Marciano defeats Jersey Joe Walcott, becoming the world Heavyweight champion.
Liberace has a popular 1950s television show for his musical entertainment.
Santayana goodbye: George Santayana, philosopher, essayist, poet, and novelist, dies on September 26.

Joseph Stalin dies on March 5, yielding his position as leader of the Soviet Union.
Georgy Maksimilianovich Malenkov succeeds Stalin for six months following his death. Malenkov had presided over Stalin's purges of party "enemies", but would be spared a similar fate by Nikita Khrushchev mentioned later in verse.
Gamal Abdel Nasser acts as the true power behind the new Egyptian nation as Muhammad Naguib's minister of the interior.
Sergei Prokofiev, the composer, dies on March 5, the same day as Stalin.
Winthrop Rockefeller and his wife Barbara are involved in a highly publicized divorce, culminating in 1954 with a record-breaking $5.5 million settlement.[10]
Roy Campanella, an African-American baseball catcher for the Brooklyn Dodgers, receives the National League's Most Valuable Player award for the second time.
Communist bloc is a group of communist nations dominated by the Soviet Union at this time. Probably a reference to the Uprising of 1953 in East Germany.

Roy Cohn resigns as Joseph McCarthy's chief counsel and enters private practice with the fall of McCarthy. He also worked to prosecute the Rosenbergs, mentioned earlier.
Juan Perón spends his last full year as President of Argentina before a September 1955 coup.
Arturo Toscanini is at the height of his fame as a conductor, performing regularly with the NBC Symphony Orchestra on national radio.
Dacron is an early artificial fiber made from the same plastic as polyester.
Dien Bien Phu falls. A village in North Vietnam falls to Viet Minh forces under Vo Nguyen Giap, leading to the creation of North Vietnam and South Vietnam as separate states.
"Rock Around the Clock" is a hit single released by Bill Haley & His Comets in May, spurring worldwide interest in rock and roll music.

Albert Einstein dies on April 18 at the age of 76.
James Dean achieves success with East of Eden and Rebel Without a Cause, gets nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor, and dies in a car accident on September 30 at the age of 24.
Brooklyn's got a winning team: The Brooklyn Dodgers win the World Series for the only time before their move to Los Angeles.
Davy Crockett is a Disney television series about the legendary frontiersman of the same name. The show was a huge hit with young boys and inspired a short-lived "coonskin cap" craze.
Peter Pan is broadcast on TV live and in color from the 1954 version of the stage musical starring Mary Martin on March 7. Disney released an animated version the previous year.
Elvis Presley signs with RCA Records on November 21, beginning his pop career.
Disneyland opens on July 17 as Walt Disney's first theme park.

Brigitte Bardot appears in her first mainstream film And God Created Woman and establishes an international reputation as a French "sex kitten".
Budapest is the site of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution.
Alabama is the site of the Montgomery Bus Boycott which ultimately led to the removal of the last race laws in the USA. Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King, Jr figure prominently.
Nikita Khrushchev makes his famous Secret Speech denouncing Stalin's "cult of personality" on February 23.
Princess Grace Kelly releases her last film, High Society, and marries Prince Rainier III of Monaco.
Peyton Place, the best-selling novel by Grace Metalious, is published. Though mild compared to today's prime time, it shocked the reserved values of the 1950s.
Trouble in the Suez: The Suez Crisis boils as Egypt nationalizes the Suez Canal on October 29.

Little Rock, Arkansas is the site of an anti-integration standoff, as Governor Orval Faubus stops the Little Rock Nine from attending Little Rock Central High School and President Dwight D. Eisenhower deploys the 101st Airborne Division to counteract him.
Boris Pasternak, the Russian author, publishes his famous novel Doctor Zhivago.
Mickey Mantle is in the middle of his career as a famous New York Yankees outfielder and American League All-Star for the sixth year in a row.
Jack Kerouac publishes his first novel in seven years, On the Road.
Sputnik becomes the first artificial satellite, launched by the Soviet Union on October 4, marking the start of the space race.
Chou En-Lai, Premier of the People's Republic of China, survives an assassination attempt on the charter airliner Kashmir Princess.
Bridge on the River Kwai is released as a film adaptation of the 1954 novel and receives seven Academy Awards.[11]

Lebanon is engulfed in a political and religious crisis that eventually involves U.S. intervention.
Charles de Gaulle is elected first president of the French Fifth Republic following the Algerian Crisis.
California baseball begins as the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants move to California and become the Los Angeles Dodgers and San Francisco Giants. They are the first major league teams west of Kansas City.
Charles Starkweather homicides capture the attention of Americans, killing eleven people before he is caught in a massive manhunt in Douglas, Wyoming.
Children of Thalidomide: Mothers taking the drug Thalidomide had children born with congenital birth defects caused by the sleeping aid and antiemetic, which was also used at times to treat morning sickness.

Buddy Holly dies in a plane crash on February 3 with Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper, in a day that had a devastating impact on the country and youth culture.
Ben-Hur, a film based around the New Testament starring Charlton Heston, wins eleven Academy Awards.
Space Monkey: Able and Miss Baker return to Earth from space aboard the flight Jupiter AM-18.
The Mafia are the center of attention for the FBI and public attention builds to this organized crime society with a historically Sicilian-American origin.
Hula hoops reach 100 million in sales as the latest toy fad.
Fidel Castro comes to power after a revolution in Cuba and visits the United States later that year on an unofficial twelve-day tour.
Edsel is a no-go: Production of this car marque ends after only three years due to poor sales.

1960s

U-2: An American U-2 spy plane piloted by Francis Gary Powers was shot down over the Soviet Union, causing the U-2 Crisis of 1960.
Syngman Rhee was rescued by the CIA after being forced to resign as leader of South Korea for allegedly fixing an election and embezzling more than twenty million U.S. dollars.
Payola, illegal payments for radio broadcasting of songs, was publicized due to Dick Clark's testimony before Congress and Alan Freed's public disgrace.
John F. Kennedy beats Richard Nixon in the November 8 general election.
Chubby Checker popularizes the dance The Twist with his cover of the song of the same name.
Psycho: An Alfred Hitchcock thriller, based on a pulp novel by Robert Bloch and adapted by Joseph Stefano, which becomes a landmark in graphic violence and cinema sensationalism. The screeching violins heard briefly in the background of the song are a trademark of the film's soundtrack.
Belgians in the Congo: The Republic of the Congo (Leopoldville) was declared independent of Belgium on June 30, with Joseph Kasavubu as President and Patrice Lumumba as Prime Minister.

Ernest Hemingway commits suicide on July 2 after a long battle with depression.
Adolf Eichmann, a "most wanted" Nazi war criminal, is traced to Argentina and captured by Mossad agents. He is covertly taken to Israel where he is put on trial for crimes against humanity in Germany during World War II, convicted, and hanged.
Stranger in a Strange Land, written by Robert A. Heinlein, is a breakthrough best-seller with themes of sexual freedom and liberation.
Bob Dylan is signed to Columbia Records after a New York Times review by critic Robert Shelton.
Berlin is separated into West Berlin and East Berlin, and from the rest of East Germany, when the Berlin Wall is erected on August 13 to prevent citizens escaping to the West.
The Bay of Pigs Invasion fails, an attempt by United States-trained Cuban exiles to invade Cuba and overthrow Fidel Castro.

Lawrence of Arabia: The Academy Award-winning film based on the life of T. E. Lawrence starring Peter O'Toole premieres in America on December 16.
British Beatlemania: The Beatles, a British rock group, gain Ringo Starr as drummer and Brian Epstein as manager, and join the EMI's Parlophone label. They soon become the world's most famous rock band, with the word "Beatlemania" adopted by the press for their fans' unprecedented enthusiasm. It also began the British Invasion in the United States.
Ole' Miss: James Meredith integrates the University of Mississippi
John Glenn: Flew the first American manned orbital mission termed "Friendship 7" on February 20.
Liston beats Patterson: Sonny Liston and Floyd Patterson fight for the world heavyweight championship on September 25, ending in a first-round knockout. This match marked the first time Patterson had ever been knocked out and one of only eight losses in his 20-year professional career.

Pope Paul VI: Cardinal Giovanni Montini is elected to the papacy and takes the regnal name of Paul VI.
Malcolm X makes his infamous statement "The chickens have come home to roost" about the Kennedy assassination, thus causing the Nation of Islam to censor him.
British politician sex: The British Secretary of State for War, John Profumo, has a relationship with a showgirl, and then lies when questioned about it before the House of Commons. When the truth came out, it led to his own resignation and undermined the credibility of the Prime Minister.
JFK blown away: President John F. Kennedy is assassinated on November 22 while riding in an open convertible through Dallas.

Birth control: In the early 1960s, oral contraceptives, popularly known as "the pill", first go on the market and are extremely popular. Griswold v. Connecticut in 1965 challenged a Connecticut law prohibiting contraceptives. In 1968, Pope Paul VI released a papal encyclical entitled Humanae Vitae which declared artificial birth control a sin.
Ho Chi Minh: A Vietnamese communist, who served as President of Vietnam from 1954–1969. March 2 Operation Rolling Thunder begins bombing of the Ho Chi Minh Trail supply line from North Vietnam to the Vietcong rebels in the south. On March 8, the first U.S. combat troops, 3,500 marines, land in South Vietnam.

Richard Nixon back again: Former Vice President Nixon is elected in the 1968 presidential election of the United States

Moonshot: Apollo 11, the first manned lunar landing, successfully lands on the moon.
Woodstock: Famous rock and roll festival of 1969 that came to be the epitome of the counterculture movement.

1970s

Watergate: Political scandal that began when the Democratic National Committee's headquarters at the Watergate office complex in Washington, DC was broken into. After the break-in, word began to spread that President Richard Nixon (a Republican) may have known about the break-in, and tried to cover it up. The scandal would ultimately result in the resignation of President Nixon, and to date, this remains the only time that anyone has ever resigned the United States Presidency.
Punk rock: The Ramones form, with the Sex Pistols following in 1975, bringing in the punk era.

(Note that these two items, while later chronologically than the two 1976 items, come immediately before them in the song.)

Menachem Begin becomes Prime Minister of Israel in 1977 and negotiates the Camp David Accords with Egypt's president in 1978.
Ronald Reagan: President of the United States from 1981 to 1989; first attempted in 1976 to run for president.

(Note that these two items, while earlier chronologically than the two 1977 items, come immediately after them in the song)

Palestine: a United Nations resolution that calls for an independent Palestinian state and to end the Israeli occupation.
Terror on the airline: Numerous aircraft hijackings took place, specifically, the Palestinian hijack of Air France Flight 139 and the subsequent Operation Entebbe in Uganda.

Ayatollah's in Iran: During the Iranian Revolution of 1979, the West-backed and secular Shah is overthrown as the Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini gains power after years in exile and forces Islamic law.
Russians in Afghanistan: Following their move into Afghanistan, Soviet forces fight a ten-year war, from 1979 to 1989.

1980s

Wheel of Fortune: A hit television game show which has been TV's highest-rated syndicated program since 1983.
Sally Ride: In 1983 she becomes the first American woman in space. Dr. Ride's quip from space "Better than an E-ticket", harkens back to the opening of Disneyland mentioned earlier, with the E-ticket purchase needed for the best rides.
Heavy metal suicide: In the 1980s Ozzy Osbourne and the bands Judas Priest and Metallica were brought to court by parents who accused the musicians of hiding subliminal pro-suicide messages in their music.
Foreign debts: Persistent U.S. trade deficits
Homeless vets: Veterans of the Vietnam War, including many disabled ex-military, are reported to be left homeless and impoverished, the country unable to yet handle its failure to succeed.
AIDS: A collection of symptoms and infections in humans resulting from the specific damage to the immune system caused by infection with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). It is first detected and recognized in the 1980s, and was on its way to becoming a pandemic.
Crack cocaine use surged in the mid-to-late 1980s.

Bernie Goetz: On December 22, Mr. Goetz shot four young men who he said were threatening him on a New York City subway. Goetz was charged with attempted murder but was acquitted of the charges, though convicted of carrying an unlicensed gun.

Hypodermics on the shore: Medical waste was found washed up on beaches in New Jersey after being illegally dumped at sea. Before this event, waste dumped in the oceans was an "out of sight, out of mind" affair. This has been cited as one of the crucial turning points in popular opinion on environmentalism.

China's under martial law: On May 20, China declares martial law, enabling them to use force of arms against protesting students to end the Tiananmen Square protests.
Rock-and-roller cola wars: Soft drink giants Coke and Pepsi each run marketing campaigns using rock & roll and popular music stars to reach the young adult demographic.