Uploading audiotapes now.

Chat about the latest and greatest, or the oldest and best in here.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Site Contributors

PapaMouse

Uploading audiotapes now.

Post by PapaMouse »

I've gotten as far as The Moody Blues' In Search of the Lost Chord. I looked it up on Wikipedia, to get the timing for each of the songs, and discovered something strange about my tape. Maybe all the tapes are this way. (Probably) According to the track listing in the article in Wiki, side 1 begins with "Departure" and ends with "House of Four Doors, Part 2". But on my tape, that's side two. (1 is 2, and 2 is 1.)

It always seemed to make sense to me the way I've always listened to it, but it seems to make more sense the other way.

"So they gave it a word, and the word was 'Om'."
Lord, you have filled my cup so full,
How can I fear tomorrow?
PapaMouse

What is it with Moody Blues tapes?

Post by PapaMouse »

In Search of the Lost Chord and To Our Children's Children's Children both have the sides backwards. (Side two on the tape is side one on the vinyl.) And now I get to Keys of the Kingdom and discover that there's a song missing. Granted that KotK wasn't a big commercial success, and I've never even seen it on CD. But why does the tape not include the song "Once Is Enough"? There's room for it on the tape, or could be if they really wanted to include it.

I guess they decided that, when it comes to audiotapes, once was more than enough.

But anywhy, thanks to Wiki, I see that there are MB albums that I don't have on tape or CD, and some of them look quite interesting. So I may have to take a trip to the used CD store downtown to see if I can find:
The Magnificent Moodies (when Denny Laine was still in the group.)
Octave
The Present
Strange Times
and
December
These are the studio albums that I don't have. (Yet.) And of course, the last-mentioned one would go with my Christmas CDs.

I might also see if I can find A Night at Red Rocks with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra, if only to have a live MB CD. And this one sounds as if it should be good. (based on the Wiki description.)

I know there's a Moody Blues fan or twelve among you. Anyone have any insight into the albums I've mentioned? "Go for it!"? "Forget that one."? "meh..."?

They seem to have several compilation albums, but I'm usually not interested in those, unless it's a band from whom I have/want nothing else. And there are a few other live albums, but again, I find live albums to be largely disappointing, as they rarely recreate the studio sound. (I know. That's sometimes the point of a live album: to have something different, but familiar.)

Anywhen, if you think I might want to pass up any of the studio albums I don't yet have, or if you think I might prefer one of their other live albums, let me know.
How can I fear tomorrow?
fiona
Feenotes Owner

Re: What is it with Moody Blues tapes?

Post by fiona »

I have several cassettes by various artists that are different to their vinyl counterparts and I still have to work out why. :?

I don't have any Moody Blues ones though so I can't even tell you if the US and UK copies are different, which happens more times than I care to mention. Sometimes they don;t even share the same title which never ceases to confuse me.

I'll have to check into the Moody Blues stuff I have and have a listen. Then I can give you my own take on them properly. It's a long time since I've heard them so it could be a nice time for re-discovery.

Hope you're doing fine PapaMouse and good to see you.:7207:
I'm not going to let my history pull me down and hold me back, you see.
PapaMouse

Uploaded The Tams' Greatest Hits...

Post by PapaMouse »

My favorite of their songs is "Be Young, Be Foolish, But Be Happy". The tape I have has that song only as part of a medley! But at least it has all the other Tams songs I remember.

The Tams were one of the first groups that I was aware of as having primarily regional hits. One of the ones on this tape, ("I've Been Hurt") never charted nationally. And a few of them didn't chart nationally in the US until they became hits in the UK.

So... How is everybody these days? Busy? (That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.) By the by, I SOLD MY HOUSE!!! (Yay!)
How can I fear tomorrow?
fiona
Feenotes Owner

I love The Tams

Post by fiona »

PapaMouse wrote:My favorite of their songs is "Be Young, Be Foolish, But Be Happy". The tape I have has that song only as part of a medley! But at least it has all the other Tams songs I remember.
I have that one on single I think but I really like their "Hey Girl, Don't Bother Me".
PapaMouse wrote:The Tams were one of the first groups that I was aware of as having primarily regional hits. One of the ones on this tape, ("I've Been Hurt") never charted nationally. And a few of them didn't chart nationally in the US until they became hits in the UK.
I remember them well and they were huge over here for a while.

PapaMouse wrote:So... How is everybody these days? Busy? (That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.) By the by, I SOLD MY HOUSE!!! (Yay!)
I'm fine PapaMouse and am desperately trying to get back into some kind of routine on the site and get the boards moving more now that I'm back from 6 weeks in St. Louis. Doug and I managed to keep up to date on the entries though apart from a week away in Illinois.

It's so good to see you though and it's fantastic news that you sold your house. :D:7207:
I'm not going to let my history pull me down and hold me back, you see.
PapaMouse

Old Moodies...

Post by PapaMouse »

thanks to Wiki, I see that there are MB albums that I don't have on tape or CD, and some of them look quite interesting. So I may have to take a trip to the used CD store downtown to see if I can find:
The Magnificent Moodies (when Denny Laine was still in the group.)
Octave
The Present
Strange Times and
December
I did indeed go to the used CD store, and found CDs of Strange Times and December, and a vinyl copy of Octave. I didn't find The Magnificent Moodies, but did find a compilation CD that included the one hit they had with Dennie Laine as lead singer. ("Go Now") So that will do.

Also, at Barnes and Nobles, I saw a new live CD called Lovely To See You, and was able to preview it. But I bought it from Amazon. (With a gift card, so it didn't cost me any real money.) So the only one I need to "complete" my Moody Blues collection (so far as I know) is The Present. Looked it up online, and none of the songs listed are familiar to me.
How can I fear tomorrow?