Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" banned in Canada

Chat about the latest and greatest, or the oldest and best in here.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Site Contributors

Gman316

Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" banned in Canada

Post by Gman316 »

This story just broke a few days ago here in Canada. It is in my opinion political correcteness gone overboard. Totally weak! Included link with story. Read some of the comments, especially the one from a fellow named Tom Hawthorn, totally Canadian!!http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... a-20110114[/url]
"I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
fiona
Feenotes Owner

When will this rubbish stop?

Post by fiona »

The PC brigade has struck again by the look of it. I wonder how many people would think of it as a gay slur, especially when the British people (including the British band that recorded it) don't even call gays that as a norm. :roll:

Another question is why on earth has it taken 20 years for someone to do this? All because there's someone with the cork in too tight who obviously spends their time listening to songs and analysing the lyrics just in case there's something that they can complain about.

Thanks for posting this Gman as we have talked about songs that get affected like this in the past. PapaMouse here also posted about a time when "Kodachrome" by Simon & Garfunkel had to be edited because it something that was supposedly able to be misconstrued. :roll:
I'm not going to let my history pull me down and hold me back, you see.
dmsesquire
Feenotes Contributor

Post by dmsesquire »

I'm not a fan of banning books or other art forms, censorship, or political correctness. They're banning it now? It came out in 1985. They weren't banning it when it was selling albums. Besides, the song reflects the time in which it was written, and it is meant to be satirical.
Five out of four people have trouble with fractions.
PapaMouse

Re: When will this rubbish stop?

Post by PapaMouse »

fiona wrote:PapaMouse here also posted about a time when "Kodachrome" by Simon & Garfunkel had to be edited :roll:
Yeah. They censored the crap out of it. Literally. They took the line "When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school" and made it "When I think back on all I learned in high school". Still makes sense that way, but just sounds weird if you've heard it the way it was recorded.
Lord, you have filled my cup so full,
How can I fear tomorrow?
Gman316

And the debate continues

Post by Gman316 »

http://www.charlesadler.com/2011/01/we- ... raits.html

The debate over the censorship of Money for Nothing continues here in Canada. Radio talk host Charles Adler had the chairman of the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council Ron Cohen on his show last week. I have included a link to Adlers site about the topic and ordinary Canadians reactions to it. My view: I wish these beauracrats would take their heads out of their asses and really listen to what people are saying. Gays here in Canada have NO issue with the song. What is even worse is that these beauracrats aren't elected officials, yet they have a lot of authority. Total bullshit in my opinion.
"I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"