Top 10 Canadian Musicians Part 1

Chat about the latest and greatest, or the oldest and best in here.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Site Contributors

Gman316

Top 10 Canadian Musicians Part 1

Post by Gman316 »

I don't want to post just any top 10. This list consists of artists who helped define their genre,influenced entire generations, and garnered respect worldwide. They made real contributions to music, not solely on how many albums they sold,or how much radio play they recieved. So here is my Top 10 list:

10. Bachman -Turner Overdrive:(Winnipeg Manitoba 1973) Formed from the breakup of the Guess Who, featuring guitarist Randy Bachman. Hits include: "Takin care of business", "Aint seen nothin yet" and "Give your money please".

9. Paul Anka: (Ottawa Ontario) In the 1950's and 1960's was one of the biggest and most popular singers in the world and today still influences many singers and performers. Hits include: "Put your head on my shoulder", "Lonely Boy",and "You are my Destiny" Also wrote the Tom Jones hit "She's a lady".

8. The Guess Who:(Winnipeg Manitoba 1963) Originally known as The Silvertones, they had their first hit covering 1965 rendition of Johnny Kidd & The Pirates' "Shakin' All Over". After a few line up changes they hit it big in 1969 with the hit "These Eyes". Hits include: "American Woman", "No Time", and "No Sugar Tonight".

7. Gordon Lightfoot: (Orillia Ontario) Refered to as one of Canada's "National Treasures" Huge influence of many musicians and songwriters. Bob Dylan refered to him as his "favourite songwriter". Hits include: "Sundown", "If you could read my mind", "Rainy Day people", and probably his biggest hit "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald".

6. Bryan Adams: (Kingston Ontario) Not only known for his music, is also known for his philanthropic work. Recipent of the Order of Canada and respected worldwide, has had a huge influence on many of todays performers and groups. Hits include: "Cuts like a knife" "Summer of 69", "Run to You", "One night love affair".

Well that's it for part one. Hope you agree, if not share your ideas or your favourites. Like I said I want this to reflect bodies of work and the influence they have had on music. Part 2 comming soon.
"I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
dmsesquire
Feenotes Contributor

Post by dmsesquire »

The Guess Who is one of my favourite bands, and Burton Cummings is one of my favourite vocalists. I like all those songs you mentioned, especially "No Sugar Tonight", and I love "Attila's Blues".

I'm looking forward to part 2 of your list, and I have a couple of ideas about who might be on it.
Five out of four people have trouble with fractions.
Gman316

Post by Gman316 »

dmsesquire wrote:The Guess Who is one of my favourite bands, and Burton Cummings is one of my favourite vocalists. I like all those songs you mentioned, especially "No Sugar Tonight", and I love "Attila's Blues".

I'm looking forward to part 2 of your list, and I have a couple of ideas about who might be on it.
Absolutley The Guess Who are awesome. Canada has an embarassment of riches when it comes to music over the years. I think you will like the top 5.

G
"I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"