Top 10 Canadian Musicians Part 2

Chat about the latest and greatest, or the oldest and best in here.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Site Contributors

Gman316

Top 10 Canadian Musicians Part 2

Post by Gman316 »

So here is Part 2, much thought went into who will represent the best of the best. So here is the top 5.

5. Anne Murray(Springhill Nova Scotia): The King of Rock n Roll himself Elvis Presley called Anne Murray his "favourite singer". Her influence reached international porportions, one of the most beloved and respected Canadian artists of all time. Hits include: "You needed me", "Snowbird", "Just fall in love again". and apparently is known as one of the best celebrity golfers in the world.

4. Neil Young(Toronto Ontario): Known as one of the most influential musicians of his generation. Founding memeber of Buffalo Springfield, and memeber of the famous supergroup Crosby Stills Nash and Young. His musical style has covered every genre of music, rock, country, blues, and even techno pop. He has done it all. Hits include: "Needle and the damage done", "Heart of Gold", "Rust never sleeps", "Southern Man", "Rocking in the Free World".

3. Joni Mitchell(Fort McLeod Alberta) Known for her unique songwriting and influential musical style that crossed all genres. Worked with some of the best and regarded as one of the greatest female artists of all time. Hits include: "Big Yellow Taxi", "Chelsea Morning", "Help Me", "Free man in Paris". Still a major influence to this day long after her retirement from music.

2. RUSH(Toronto Ontario) Since the release of the band's self-titled debut album in March 1974, Rush has become known for the instrumental skills of its members, complex compositions, and eclectic lyrical motifs drawing heavily on science fiction, fantasy, and philosophy, as well as addressing humanitarian, social, emotional, and environmental concerns. Huge, and I mean huge inlfuence on many of todays groups, often immitated, but never ever duplicated. Hits include: "Closer to the heart", "Spirit of radio","Limelight", "Tom Sawyer","Fly by Night". way too many to list.

Now for #1 I think this particular musician is one of, if not the greatest musicans that has ever lived.

1. Leonard Cohen: (Montreal Quebec) No other musician has covered the human experience like Leonard Cohen, His work often explores religion, isolation, sexuality and interpersonal relationships.One of the most covered muscians of all time and widley loved and respected. A real national treasure. He is extremely well-regarded by critics for his literary accomplishments, for the richness of his lyrics, and for producing an output of work of high artistic quality over a five-decade career. Hits include: "Suzanne", "Famous Blue raincoat", "I'm your man", "The Future", "Bird on a wire", "Dance me to the end of Love", "Hallelujah"

So there you have it my Canadian top 10. There are so many other great artists and groups out there, but like I said i wanted to cover whom I beleieve have made the biggest influence on music. I hope you all agree.

G
"I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
fiona
Feenotes Owner

Good lists Gman

Post by fiona »

I like your choices and I think I can almost get a sense of the music you like.

A couple of these artists you mention have already been mentioned on the site and all of them will be covered at some point (give me time).

Another Canadian I like is k.d. Lang and although she's not my cup of tea really, Celine Dion deserves a bit of a mention I think.

BTW I went to see Bryan Adams in 1987 in London with T'Pau opening for him and he put on one hell of show. :17091:
I'm not going to let my history pull me down and hold me back, you see.
dmsesquire
Feenotes Contributor

Re: Good lists Gman

Post by dmsesquire »

fiona wrote:I like your choices and I think I can almost get a sense of the music you like.

A couple of these artists you mention have already been mentioned on the site and all of them will be covered at some point (give me time).

Another Canadian I like is k.d. Lang and although she's not my cup of tea really, Celine Dion deserves a bit of a mention I think.

BTW I went to see Bryan Adams in 1987 in London with T'Pau opening for him and he put on one hell of show. :17091:
I'll add Hank Snow to the mix! :P
Five out of four people have trouble with fractions.
Gman316

Re: Good lists Gman

Post by Gman316 »

fiona wrote:I like your choices and I think I can almost get a sense of the music you like.

I can also honestly say kd lang isn't one of my favourites, also celine Dion while an amazing singer no doubt, doesn't rank in my favourites list. Both are actually not well liked here in Canada.

I love all kinds of music, what I really respect is talent, and the contribution that talent has made to the betterment of music as a whole.

Here is something cool. I knew Bryan Adams growing up as a kid in Vancouver. We went to the same High school, he was a senoir, and I was in my freshman year. I thought he was weird, dressed really funny and worked as a dishwasher at a local restaurant. It just goes to show you never know who will become famous.

Glad you liked the list. 8)
"I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"