The Seattle Grunge Scene (late 80's - early 90's)

Chat about the latest and greatest, or the oldest and best in here.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Site Contributors

Gman316

The Seattle Grunge Scene (late 80's - early 90's)

Post by Gman316 »

Growing up in Vancouver, Seattle was only a 3 hour drive away. So many great bands came out of Seattle during this time period. We (my sisters BF at the time, his friends and myself) used to go down to Seattle regularly and take it all in. One of my favourite bands was Mother Love Bone Now if you never heard of them, I wouldn't be surprised, however they were considered the godfathers of the grunge scene. Other great groups included:

Green River
Sound Garden
Mudhoney
The Melvins
Nirvana
Pearl Jam

So many more to list I have forgotten most of them. These groups were my favourites. It was cool being there seeing these bands before their fame and infamy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Love_Bone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge
"I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
fiona
Feenotes Owner

Re: The Seattle Grunge Scene (late 80's - early 90's)

Post by fiona »

Gman316 wrote:Growing up in Vancouver, Seattle was only a 3 hour drive away. So many great bands came out of Seattle during this time period. We (my sisters BF at the time, his friends and myself) used to go down to Seattle regularly and take it all in. One of my favourite bands was Mother Love Bone Now if you never heard of them, I wouldn't be surprised, however they were considered the godfathers of the grunge scene. Other great groups included:

Green River
Sound Garden
Mudhoney
The Melvins
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
I think the only two of these I know anything about are Nirvana and Pearl Jam but I do have a bit of stuff by both of them.

The Seattle grunge scene that you knew and loved in the 80s/90s sounds just like the London punk scene in the late '70s/early '80s which I was very much a part of. The only difference for me now is that I don't have my hair every colour that you can imagine, I haven't worn leather trousers in an age, I don't wear black lipstick and I don't have my clothes dones up with safety pin anymore. :lol:
I'm not going to let my history pull me down and hold me back, you see.
Gman316

Re: The Seattle Grunge Scene (late 80's - early 90's)

Post by Gman316 »

fiona wrote:
Gman316 wrote:Growing up in Vancouver, Seattle was only a 3 hour drive away. So many great bands came out of Seattle during this time period. We (my sisters BF at the time, his friends and myself) used to go down to Seattle regularly and take it all in. One of my favourite bands was Mother Love Bone Now if you never heard of them, I wouldn't be surprised, however they were considered the godfathers of the grunge scene. Other great groups included:

Green River
Sound Garden
Mudhoney
The Melvins
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
I think the only two of these I know anything about are Nirvana and Pearl Jam but I do have a bit of stuff by both of them.

The Seattle grunge scene that you knew and loved in the 80s/90s sounds just like the London punk scene in the late '70s/early '80s which I was very much a part of. The only difference for me now is that I don't have my hair every colour that you can imagine, I haven't worn leather trousers in an age, I don't wear black lipstick and I don't have my clothes dones up with safety pin anymore. :lol:
The grunge sound is a hybrid of punk and metal. So you are right on the money with your comaparison. Was visiting London with my family back in 1983, recall seeing some punk rockers dressed in a similar fashion as you described. Who knows maybe it was you I saw!! :shock:
"I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"