I was listening to my "Top Pop Hits of 1963"...

Chat about the latest and greatest, or the oldest and best in here.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Site Contributors

PapaMouse

I was listening to my "Top Pop Hits of 1963"...

Post by PapaMouse »

...a couple of days ago. One of the songs on it was "Sukiyaki" by Kyu Sakamoto. I've always liked that one. (It's the only song sung entirely in Japanese to hit #1 in the US.) It was recorded in 1961, and was a hit in Japan. Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen were on tour over there, heard it and decided to record an instrumental version for release in the UK. But the record company figured English-speaking audiences would never remember, or be able to pronounce, the title ("Ue o muite arukoo"), so they gave it a title that would be short, catchy, and recognizably Japanese: "Sukiyaki". (One critic said that was like releasing "Moon River" in Japan, and calling it "Beef Stew".) :roll: When Sakamoto's original version was released in the US, Capitol Records kept the title used for Kenny Ball's version.

Anyway, the Japanese title translates as "I Look Up When I Walk". From that title, the bouncy tune, and the whistling, I always thought it was a happy, even proud sort of song. But after hearing it again, I got curious about the lyrics, and their English translation. Surprisingly, it wasn't hard to find both the Japanese lyrics and their English version. Even more surprising to me: It's a very sad song.

I look up when I walk
So the tears won't fall
Remembering those happy spring days
But tonight I'm all alone

I look up when I walk
Counting the stars with tearful eyes
Remembering those happy summer days

Happiness lies beyond the clouds
Happiness lies above the sky

I look up when I walk
So the tears won't fall
Though my heart is filled with sorrow
For tonight I'm all alone

(whistling)
Remembering those happy autumn days

Sadness hides in the shadow of the stars
Sadness lurks in the shadow of the moon

I look up when I walk
So the tears won't fall
Though my heart is filled with sorrow
For tonight I'm all alone
(whistling)

I don't know if the songwriter (Rokusuke Ei) intended it, or if it's just my own circumstances that make me interpret it this way, but the lines "Happiness lies beyond the clouds. Happiness lies above the sky." make me think the singer's love has died and gone "above the sky" to Heaven. I think, when I hear this song again, I'll probably think of MamaMouse. But somehow, I don't think the tears will fall.
Lord, you have filled my cup so full,
How can I fear tomorrow?
tmac396

Hey, Papa!

Post by tmac396 »

I'm glad you posted the english lyrics to this song. I have the 45 and have always loved it. I remember listening to Joe Donovan on WHAS several years ago and he spoke the lyrics before he played the song. The lyrics are in such contrast with the happy, upbeat tempo, aren't they? It's a VERY sad song. Sadly, Kyu Sakamoto died in a plane crash like so many other performers. Only it was a commercial airliner. Thank you again for posting the english lyrics.
Toolin' down the highway doing 79,
I'm a twin-pipe papa and I'm feeling fine...
fiona
Feenotes Owner

Thank you for that PapaMouse

Post by fiona »

I know the Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen version as they were a staple over here although I can say I was just a little young to appreciate it in 1963 and it took a couple of years before I was strutting my stuff to their wonderful music. 8)

I had no idea about the story of it though and it's great to know. One of my favourite composers is Ryiuchu Sakamoto. I wonder if there is a relationship between the two of them as I have never really looked into him yet.

Thanks once again PapaMouse. :1013: :7207:
I'm not going to let my history pull me down and hold me back, you see.
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Re: Wow, Papa. Thanks for this...

Post by jodlyn »

I remember hearing this song and thinking what a cute little thing it was. I had no clue what the real words were. I just thought they were so kicky and bouncy. Wow..what a difference the words are to the melody.

PapaMouse wrote: But somehow, I don't think the tears will fall.
Hopefully..many smiles! :7207: :1013:
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way!