Do you have a favorite music station to listen to?

Chat about the latest and greatest, or the oldest and best in here.

Moderators: Site Administrators, Site Contributors

jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Do you have a favorite music station to listen to?

Post by jodlyn »

I thought this would be fun to exchange some listening information. I know I have my favorites programmed in my truck, on my computer and on the satellite system.

What's your favorite?

Mine is:

http://www.classic99.com/ for classics on the computer!

http://www.1059jack.com/ for classic rock on the computer and my truck!

http://www.kubb.com/index.shtml Country rock for when I'm driving and hanging out on the back roads! :)
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way!
Thomas
Feenotes Technical

Post by Thomas »

I have the wonderfully commercial BBC Radio 1 wake me up in the mornings on my Bedside DAB Radio. I can even fall back asleep again listening to it :lol:

If i'm travelling in the car, then I'll listen to CD's as Radio reception is awful, and the content of most of the stations is even worse.

At work I don't listen to Music - unable to given the work I do.
Thomas
Feenotes Website Development & Hosting
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

A radio station which puts you to sleep...

Post by jodlyn »

Thomas wrote:I have the wonderfully commercial BBC Radio 1 wake me up in the mornings on my Bedside DAB Radio. I can even fall back asleep again listening to it :lol:
Now that's handy! :lol:

Given what Fee has told me about the remoteness of much of your country, I can imagine it's hard to get the stations in your car. It's the same way here when I travel to the mountains. No reception at all, so the cd's come out. Isn't it wonderful how someone actually invented these little dics that hold music? :D
tmac396

Post by tmac396 »

At home and in the wife's car it's XM all the way with "The 50's on 5" (I'm ADDICTED to Matt the Cat!) and "The 60's on 6" with a regular trip to "Deep Tracks" to hear lots of that "Album Oriented Rock" that I grew up with on the underground FM radio.

At work it's "Radio Bop" on Live 365. http://radiobop.com

In my Chevelle and the pickup it's Oldies radio 92.3 Grenada, MS since MY town doesn't have a decent station! :(
http://www.findradio.us/displayradio-77811.htm
Toolin' down the highway doing 79,
I'm a twin-pipe papa and I'm feeling fine...
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

What cool stations!!

Post by jodlyn »

tmac396 wrote:At home and in the wife's car it's XM all the way with "The 50's on 5" (I'm ADDICTED to Matt the Cat!) and "The 60's on 6" with a regular trip to "Deep Tracks" to hear lots of that "Album Oriented Rock" that I grew up with on the underground FM radio.

At work it's "Radio Bop" on Live 365. http://radiobop.com

In my Chevelle and the pickup it's Oldies radio 92.3 Grenada, MS since MY town doesn't have a decent station! :(
http://www.findradio.us/displayradio-77811.htm
Thanks for the link. I love it, and I've added it to my bookmarks. :)

My area used to have this great oldies station, but they changed it to Mexican music a few months ago. Some of us oldies lovers were pretty ticked off I tell you that. At least my television has the 50 and 60's rock and roll on satellite.
tmac396

Thanks!

Post by tmac396 »

They are good stations that don't play the same old songs over and over and there are always some pleasant surprises!
jodlyn wrote:At least my television has the 50 and 60's rock and roll on satellite.
Me, too. That's how we have XM in the house is through our Direct TV satellite service. I've hooked them all up to stereo receivers so we can listen to them on the patio or the living room through my killer stereo systems! :D
Toolin' down the highway doing 79,
I'm a twin-pipe papa and I'm feeling fine...
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Re: You're welcome...

Post by jodlyn »

tmac396 wrote:Me, too. That's how we have XM in the house is through our Direct TV satellite service. I've hooked them all up to stereo receivers so we can listen to them on the patio or the living room through my killer stereo systems! :D
Oh, now I know you're definitely coming out to dinner tonight. I'll trade you a Teriyaki chicken kabob for hooking up my system. I'll even throw in an extra brownie!

Thomas
Feenotes Technical

Re: A radio station which puts you to sleep...

Post by Thomas »

jodlyn wrote:Given what Fee has told me about the remoteness of much of your country, I can imagine it's hard to get the stations in your car. It's the same way here when I travel to the mountains. No reception at all, so the cd's come out. Isn't it wonderful how someone actually invented these little dics that hold music? :D
Personally I don't think it's that remote. I can be anywhere in this country (even the other end of it) in only a matter of hours.

The problem is that the BBC (who run the main non-commercial Radio & TV Channels in the UK) don't transmit to some of the area's within Scotland and specifically class them as "out of region" area's because they don't think there is sufficient listeners in these areas. Commercial stations can be better, but there are not many commercial stations in the further North/North West areas so you are limited in the Radio Stations you can listen to in some of the more remote area's - trouble is most of the stations are awful.

DAB is very patchy at best unless you are in a fairly built up area. It's the same story for Digital Freeview TV too. Unsurprisingly, one of the biggest shareholders in DAB & Freeview etc is the BBC. Where Fee lives you can't get DAB at all, nor Freeview. The only option for Digital TV is through Sky/Satellite.

This is the same BBC that demands £135.50 ($275.00) a year for a TV License in this country...

CD's are great, and as soon as more Car Manufacturers get proper interfaces with MP3 players like iPods then they will be even better than CD's :)
Thomas
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Post by jodlyn »

Thomas wrote:Personally I don't think it's that remote. I can be anywhere in this country (even the other end of it) in only a matter of hours.

The problem is that the BBC (who run the main non-commercial Radio & TV Channels in the UK) don't transmit to some of the area's within Scotland and specifically class them as "out of region" area's because they don't think there is sufficient listeners in these areas. Commercial stations can be better, but there are not many commercial stations in the further North/North West areas so you are limited in the Radio Stations you can listen to in some of the more remote area's - trouble is most of the stations are awful.

DAB is very patchy at best unless you are in a fairly built up area. It's the same story for Digital Freeview TV too. Unsurprisingly, one of the biggest shareholders in DAB & Freeview etc is the BBC. Where Fee lives you can't get DAB at all, nor Freeview. The only option for Digital TV is through Sky/Satellite.

This is the same BBC that demands £135.50 ($275.00) a year for a TV License in this country...
Wow..so the BBC essentially operates a monopoly in your country. It's a shame, Thomas. I'm sure there are so many people who would love to be able to access music more easily. We are so lucky in the U.S. but many people don't realise it. I wish they could talk to all of you who live in where you do and really find out how hard it is sometimes.
CD's are great, and as soon as more Car Manufacturers get proper interfaces with MP3 players like iPods then they will be even better than CD's :)
Exactly..I've been thinking the same thing about how some manufacturers need to supply more interfaces. Move over at that keyboard, Thomas. :D
PapaMouse

I almost never listen to the radio any more.

Post by PapaMouse »

Too many DJs who think they're the next Robin Williams, and tell bad jokes badly. Not enough actual music. So for me, it's CDs or iPod all the time.

Except at work, where I don't have a CD player, nor something I can hook my iPod to. But one of my co-workers left a radio there, and said we can listen if we want. I found a radio station that plays Carolina Beach Music (Not the same as California Beach Music) and some other oldies. All I know about it (having just found it that one time) is that it's 94.something, and they call it "The Surf". Maybe next time I work the closing shift, I'll have to see if I can find it again.
Lord, you have filled my cup so full,
How can I fear tomorrow?
Thomas
Feenotes Technical

Post by Thomas »

jodlyn wrote:Wow..so the BBC essentially operates a monopoly in your country. It's a shame, Thomas. I'm sure there are so many people who would love to be able to access music more easily. We are so lucky in the U.S. but many people don't realise it. I wish they could talk to all of you who live in where you do and really find out how hard it is sometimes.
Oh don't get me wrong - there are tonnes of Commercial Stations. The problem is that many of them simply aren't very good.

The BBC is a state owned Corporation. In January this year the Board of Governers was abolished in favour of a trust called "The BBC Trust" - and I quote "The BBC Trust works on behalf of licence fee payers: it ensures the BBC provides high quality output and good value for all UK citizens and it protects the independence of the BBC."

Ok it does have some quality programming sometimes - but it certainly does not cater properly for all 100% of it's license fee payers and most certainly does not cater for 100% of the population.

By the way, i'm simply talking about Broadcasting within the UK and not worldwide services like BBC World Service etc.
Thomas
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Post by jodlyn »

Thomas wrote: Oh don't get me wrong - there are tonnes of Commercial Stations. The problem is that many of them simply aren't very good.

The BBC is a state owned Corporation. In January this year the Board of Governers was abolished in favour of a trust called "The BBC Trust" - and I quote "The BBC Trust works on behalf of licence fee payers: it ensures the BBC provides high quality output and good value for all UK citizens and it protects the independence of the BBC."

Ok it does have some quality programming sometimes - but it certainly does not cater properly for all 100% of it's license fee payers and most certainly does not cater for 100% of the population.

By the way, i'm simply talking about Broadcasting within the UK and not worldwide services like BBC World Service etc.
So it was converted to a trust for the people but not necessarily for the people? Unfortunately, that seems to be the way with most of these companies even when they're converted over to trusts for the public. There's never really any altruistic tendencies when it comes to the public wants or needs.

For clarification...I watch the BBC channel on my Dish Network satellite system. Is that also part of the BBC World Service?

Maybe one day you'll visit this little area across the great pond and try out some of our radio broadcast offers. There's certainly enough to go around. :)

If I don't get to talk to you today, have a great weekend, Thomas. :5170:
Thomas
Feenotes Technical

Post by Thomas »

jodlyn wrote:So it was converted to a trust for the people but not necessarily for the people? Unfortunately, that seems to be the way with most of these companies even when they're converted over to trusts for the public. There's never really any altruistic tendencies when it comes to the public wants or needs.

For clarification...I watch the BBC channel on my Dish Network satellite system. Is that also part of the BBC World Service?

Maybe one day you'll visit this little area across the great pond and try out some of our radio broadcast offers. There's certainly enough to go around. :)

If I don't get to talk to you today, have a great weekend, Thomas. :5170:
It wasn't converted - it was just renamed. Corporate reshuffling I think they call it... :lol:

If you watch any of the BBC channels on your Satellite, then that's part of BBC World Service.

I'll try to have a good weekend - same to yourself!
Thomas
jodlyn
Feenotes Contributor

Re: Thanks, Thomas..

Post by jodlyn »

Thomas wrote:It wasn't converted - it was just renamed. Corporate reshuffling I think they call it... :lol:

If you watch any of the BBC channels on your Satellite, then that's part of BBC World Service.

I'll try to have a good weekend - same to yourself!
Corporate reshuffling! Quite a name covering quite a multitude of things. :lol:

:wave:
dmsesquire
Feenotes Contributor

Post by dmsesquire »

Yahoo! Radio. :8827:

You can custom design your own radio station and it builds itself based on your preferences, and the catalogue is quite extensive.
Five out of four people have trouble with fractions.