Print Shortlink

St. Paul’s Cathedral Choir

This choir has been in existence since 1127 when Richard de Belmais, the Bishop of London, founded a choir school.

Following the Great Fire of London the new St. Paul’s Cathedral was opened in 1697 and an anthem to celebrate the occasion was written by John Blow, the Minister of Choristers, and Jeremiah Clarke, who was the first official organist.

A new organ was built in 1872 and a choir of 40 boys and 18 Vicars Choral were instated to reach the new required vocal strength.  Today the choir consists of 30 choristers, six countertenors, six tenors, six basses and eight probationers.  They have become one of the most well known choirs and regularly make tours worldwide.

They have made many recordings including a 12-CD set of all 150 Psalms of David which took over 7 years to record and have also recorded with the King’s Singers as the Frog Chorus which accompanied Paul McCartney in the recording “We All Stand Together”

Paul McCartney and the Frog Chorus recordings
We All Stand Together (Paul McCartney)