This song was written by Leroy Anderson in 1951 and premiered by him when he recorded it for Decca. In 1956 the Phantom Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps of Rockford, Illinois changed their original name from the Rockford Rangers after having heard the piece played by a different corps and they are still performing today.
The piece emanates the sound of distant trumpets and soldiers marching, drawing closer all the time. As the music gains strength the marching and trumpets get louder and then it all fades as they disappear into the distance again.
Leroy Anderson & His Orchestra recordings
MCA Classics MCAD2 9815 (CD: The Leroy Anderson Collection)
Conductor – Leroy Anderson
Cologne Radio Orchestra recordings
Laser Light 15 248 (CD: Symphonic Pops/Blue Tango)
Conductor – Pinchas Steinberg
St. Louis Symphony Orchestra recordings
RCA 68048-2 (CD: The Typewriter)
Conductor – Leonard Slatkin